If you’re interested in having a website created, or even just updated, contact me at amanda(at)amandahealey(dot)ca
Some website basics
URL – this is the www.youraddresshere.com part of the website. This is the location of your website, and it will be charged on a yearly basis. I can set this up for you, or you can do it yourself. This is a yearly fee that you’ll be required to pay wherever you get your website created.
hosting – this is the server space where your website is stored. This is another yearly fee and can range in price depending on how much space you need, how much traffic you expect, and some other extras like email addresses and web analytics. I can host your site for you, or you can choose to host somewhere else.
design and development – This is the actual website creation. Design refers to the visual and functional part of the website in a static/written document, and development refers to the actual programming to make the site work.
What I use to develop websites
WordPress (also known as a content management system (CMS)) This makes it easy to use code that’s already been created (plugins and widgets) to add functionality to your website. It also makes it much easier for you to update the site yourself.
WordPress is built using templates called themes. This is the foundation of the site. I customize your chosen theme with your brand (colour, images, fonts, brand voice, etc) and content (images, text, audio, video).
Steps to creating a website
- define target audience
- define business needs
- collect content
Target audience – research and understanding
- Who is your target audience?
- Why do they need to go to your website? What are they looking for?
- How do they want to access this info? (sign in, emailed, pdf, video, in a webpage, step by step image instructions etc)
- What does a typical experience look like for them?
- Where do you want to take your business?
- How can a website help you to achieve those goals? (sell? promote? start a conversation?)
- What content will be on your website? (this is where you do a full content inventory and detail out everything you’d like to include on the site – drawings, photos, logos, background patterns, audio, video, written content – static (ie about page) and time sensitive (ie blog, calendar)).
- Refer back to the target audience section when creating this.
- Based on your audience, business needs and brand, I pick several themes that could work.
- You pick one as the final theme.
- A static mockup of each type of page is created with actual content and sent to you for approval.
- Client has one opportunity to tweak design.
- Client approves design (signed approval form) and pays for third installment of site.
- Site is created using chosen WordPress template, plugins, and approved mockups.
- Site can be viewed by client with a password on a special website.
- Client approves website (signed approval form) and pays for remainder of site.
- The website is uploaded to client’s chosen hosting provider and can be accessed from the chosen url.
- It’s not over after development!
- I can maintain and update your website for added peace of mind and an additional monetary cost, or you can choose to do so yourself.
- Based on customer need, I may look at creating low-cost tutorials for specific tasks in the future.