So it’s obviously been a little bit of time since my last blog post. A lot of stuff has happened in the last two weeks. Me not being perfect, and always learning better from mistakes than getting it right 100% of the time, hit a bit of a rut with my partner on my final project. Lack of communication didn’t help the problem. After agreeing to communicate when issue arose instead of stewing about them for the weekend certainly helped to clear the field and the strike on work was over.
We’re just at the end of week two, and we’ve come a long way since we started. We also worked on finessing the interactions between the user and the characters of our story yesterday, among other things. You can see some of the sketches that Taura drew out above. Initially we were planning on the story being told through basic augmented reality characters that you could direct across the screen, and movie clips to fill in the blanks in between interactive sequences. Both the interactive sequences and movie clips would be triggered by an image called a tag that would be on each page spread.
After brainstorming more ideas, we’ve decided that we want to incorporate some fun flash games into the mix as well, also triggered by the AR tags in the storybook. This way we can keep the user involved with the story with a consistent character, but in different ways, all with the same media: a phone and a storybook. We’ve added in some surprise elements to the storyline that we think will make it a pleasant surprise for those of you who are familiar with the short animation version of the movie. Stay tuned!